From: Steven W. Boese <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: oil flow
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 21:29:42 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Andrew,

If an oil pressure gauge is installed at the inlet to the oil cooler, a pressure rise with increasing RPM will be observed.   If the pressure keeps rising as RPM is increased to maximum, all the oil is passing through the oil cooler.  If the pressure levels off at about 156 psi before max RPM is reached, then some oil is being returned to the sump by the front cover oil pressure relief valve and not passing through the oil cooler.

If an appropriate oil cooler is used, there would be no need for a second oil heat exchanger with associated plumbing, ducts, or controls.

On my test stand, at 6000 RPM, 143 HP, and 30" MAP, a total of 7700 BTU of heat was dissipated by coolant and oil.  16% of that was dissipated through the oil.  This is for 15 gal/min oil flow and 53 gal/min coolant flow.  I have more confidence in the oil flow rate value than the coolant flow rate value.

Steve Boese