X-Virus-Scanned: clean according to Sophos on Logan.com From: Received: from resqmta-ch2-04v.sys.comcast.net ([69.252.207.36] verified) by logan.com (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 6.2c3) with ESMTPS id 9839352 for flyrotary@lancaironline.net; Tue, 20 Jun 2017 13:57:45 -0400 Received-SPF: pass receiver=logan.com; client-ip=69.252.207.36; envelope-from=hoursaway1@comcast.net Received: from resomta-ch2-11v.sys.comcast.net ([69.252.207.107]) by resqmta-ch2-04v.sys.comcast.net with SMTP id NNOqdF2psscBPNNP5dSFSN; Tue, 20 Jun 2017 17:57:27 +0000 DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1497981447; bh=YdMBeLBcq9pmcs4zZ73edAzLcFLRJW3wTBlZTEMeCtk=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=ewLCWVrJ+o26Hn6IfnwBxja2tgkreAm0+PatlRTbth6xpB1OYAeeztFKz02OcJeUN vK3OHHWMwqet4z4WG5JMX7p4pA2jpnxPHiPIeSm/Y1uIgJSKfS4YsaNgyikau1D1C0 Ae2+Yd0b5BICxDsuHSjBgNtJHo9ajDoI4+I3epFxin8FEdAiZ2rvG+HxPbP4yyaChV sWbDiyLgSkrMoygW6tTQe81a9pjX5+3SNjgsmcJRJi0xBwC9syBAK9BgpS/3R0Ihmy ytXCSJqJzlVC49IAUsym4TKysUQdJwXBS8vDTYEaAsAbINibncYYo0kpOr86rf25qh JZ9mQoQdX3UDg== Received: from resmail-ch2-632v.sys.comcast.net ([162.150.50.156]) by resomta-ch2-11v.sys.comcast.net with SMTP id NNP5dhesiufxMNNP5dVBxs; Tue, 20 Jun 2017 17:57:27 +0000 Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 17:57:27 +0000 (UTC) To: "Fly rotary blog, e-mail" Message-ID: <167598008.54479378.1497981447243.JavaMail.zimbra@comcast.net> In-Reply-To: References: Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Forever Projects MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_Part_54479377_1977938624.1497981447239" X-Originating-IP: [2603:3015:1003:800:8c13:9396:7a39:feac] X-Mailer: Zimbra 8.0.7_GA_6031 (ZimbraWebClient - IE7 (Win)/8.0.7_GA_6031) Thread-Topic: Forever Projects Thread-Index: DySImY2izIGevvE6Y3WfyasYAQyzAQ== X-CMAE-Envelope: MS4wfGLJGHD1RY6OunuNUN0T36fJyx/mn5QAfHX7P9WMBOkSwWb0juTHxx70vDGbZEZshf7tUAk/R4jjpKJmNbgAiaebFJ2vu8b2JtwNCJ+zBluv3HA2cXPS lbsSe+OHgFNyML1Op1dIfe3nfV8U5IxOq3HRePsNBAItJ6qq9NS88d4JgebA1YfgiYd1NVeFBaOSN53Y4NS4WDl76JjLO5uv9nc= ------=_Part_54479377_1977938624.1497981447239 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable RWS B-PSRU, 2.13 ratio If I recall correctly, takeoff RPM 6250, 26mp?, 5000= gets me about 145kts. but that is still pitched for takeoff.=C2=A0 Gear fa= irings all on now. The eng. is a Bruce T. custom, 1979 high comp. rotors, 1= 980 turbo housings with the larger oval exhaust, street porting ( ?=C2=A0th= ink that is what is called ),=C2=A06 port Mazda intake modified to 4 port a= ll=C2=A0precision matched ( hours & hours with a dremell ) smoothing, polis= hing, matching,=C2=A0housings to lower intake to mid intake to custom exten= ded tubes reaching across top of eng. to=C2=A0starboard side into custom Dy= namic chamber through slight bell-mouths & curved back-plate ( take advanta= ge of rebounding pulses ) 3" Cadillac 4.6L Northstar eng. throttlebody ( ve= ry nice design=C2=A0double sealed ball bearing plate support throttle rod,= =C2=A0NO vacuum leaks like you get with bushings=C2=A0) 3" wire support sca= t to ram air standard Van's RV cowl inlet. That was going backwards.=C2=A0S= orry about that chief.=C2=A0 =C2=A0David=C2=A0=C2=A0=20 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Todd Bartrim" =20 To: "Rotary motors in aircraft" =20 Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:00:29 AM=20 Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Forever Projects=20 Hi Dave;=20 =C2=A0 I thought that you were using an IVO. I've got the 30"-90"=C3=9776"M= agnum=C2=A0 and I never saw numbers like that. I knew I should have cut it = down but I also knew that one day I would order new blades for it which I d= id about 5 weeks ago. So I'll be looking to sell the blades only and I figu= re they may be hard to sell without the hub but as they are still full leng= th they have a better chance of being bought by someone looking for replace= ment blades.=20 =C2=A0 I'm looking forward to flying behind the deep pitch version.=20 =C2=A0 What reduction ratio are you running?=20 Todd=20 On Mon, Jun 19, 2017, 21:05 hoursaway1, < flyrotary@lancaironline.net > wro= te:=20 Ivoprop 45 deg. to 105 deg. pitch, 68" three blade, in-flight adjust.=C2=A0= David=20 From: "Todd Bartrim" < flyrotary@lancaironline.net >=20 To: "Rotary motors in aircraft" < flyrotary@lancaironline.net >=20 Sent: Monday, June 19, 2017 1:34:39 AM=20 Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Forever Projects=20 Hey David;=20 =C2=A0 What prop are using there?=20 Todd=20 Dreaming with my eyes wide open....=20 Todd Bartrim=20 On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 7:32 PM, hoursaway1 < flyrotary@lancaironline.net >= wrote:=20
Good write Todd, you know Lynn,,,,,,we race planes to & Rotarys are FAST.. = David=C2=A0 RV6A Rotary 3000 ft 80F at altitude above airport pattern makin= g oval patterns wide open throttle prop still pitched for takeoff no gear f= airings yet,,,,,,176 kts ind.=20 From: "Todd Bartrim" < flyrotary@lancaironline.net >=20 To: "Rotary motors in aircraft" < flyrotary@lancaironline.net >=20 Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:56:41 PM=20 Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Forever Projects=20 Do something everyday. That advice was given to me long ago when I original= ly began my project. One little job (or big job) everyday and eventually th= ere will be nothing left to do but take It to the airport.=20 =C2=A0 Now this might sound oversimplified just like the whole "journey of = a thousand miles" thing,=20 But what I believe is the key to this is that if you do something everyday = then the details of the project are always kept in the forefront of your mi= nd and when you have a hour or two to work on it you don't waste time tryin= g to think about where you left off or what you are going to do next.=20 =C2=A0 For almost 12 years after I last flew my plane I was overwhelmed wit= h other projects and responsibilities that I allowed to fill my brain to th= e point where when I would have a moment when I could consider working on t= he plane, I would find myself feeling overwhelmed and not knowing where to = even start. So I didn't. Until finally I did. In the intervening years I di= d keep a task list on my phone and continued to lurk on the list so when va= rious new ideas were brought up I would add them to the list for future con= sideration. The list grew to a very daunting size, to a point where it was = discouraging to realize that I had been flying this machine and somehow the= re had grown this almost insurmountable list of tasks to accomplish before = returning to the skies. When I finally got back into it, I started by just = saying no to all the other jobs and favours that were consuming my time and= space in the shop and then I spent an entire weekend not doing much more t= o the plane than familiarize myself with it and develop a mental state wher= e I could recall the details of the many interrelated items that make this = thing defy gravity. This is necessary but wasted time that could be avoided= simply by doing something everyday then the details stay easily accessible= in the forefront of my mind instead of buried in the dusty recesses of my = mind. And now that very long list has only a small number of items without = a checkmark beside them.=20 =C2=A0 When I started this project I was a relatively young man compared to= all the old timers that seemed to dominate the airshows and getting an avi= ation medical was a simple formality. Now how the years have slipped by and= I find myself facing next week's medical with apprehension. Although a lit= tle sore in the mornings from many previous injuries Im still very active a= nd feel great, but I also realize that now that I've crossed that half cent= ury mark, there are a long list of hidden ailments that could be lurking un= known that would preclude the passing of a medical. And that would be truly= heartbreaking to have wasted all these years not flying this plane.=20 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Then all I could do is ramble on, offering unsolic= ited advice on forums... ;)=20 =C2=A0 Lyn, over the the years you have given us much great advice based on= your years of racing experience. Now let me give you some. Go out to your = shop and lower that plane to the ground and do something on it. Today. And = everyday.=20 All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty reces= ses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dre= amers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with o= pen eyes, to make them possible.=20 T. E. Lawrence=20 Todd=20 C-FSTB=20 RV9 13Bturbo=20 On Sat, Jun 17, 2017, 09:21 Kelly Troyer, < flyrotary@lancaironline.net > w= rote:=20
Lehanover=20 =09 Jun 16 (1 day ago)=20 =09=09 to=C2=A0 Rotary=20 The micron rating of the last chance filter would be the same as in the car= the injector came from or was used in. Find a filter with that micron rati= ng (the one from the car) and cut it open. Lay out the paper or wire media = and measure the square inches. Double that number and buy a filter(s) that = have that numberof square inches of media=C2=A0and AN fitting capability.= =20 =C2=A0=20 =C2=A0There is no application for hose barb fittings on an airplane or a ra= ce car. Change the filters at annual.=20 Sintered bronze elements can be plugged solid by a dose of water. I would n= ot use them.=C2=A0 This is race car stuff. My BD-4 hangs from the ceiling u= nfinished.=20 Lynn E. Hanover=20 Lynn,=20 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Do not think you are alone out there in "Project Unfinished L= and"...........I am still plugging away with my Dyke Delta JD2 with the hop= e of flying before death............At age 76 I still look forward to worki= ng on it...........Would rather die building than in the recliner..........= ....<:)=20 Best Regards,=20 Kelly Troyer=20
------=_Part_54479377_1977938624.1497981447239 Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
RWS B-PSRU, 2.13 ratio If I recall cor= rectly, takeoff RPM 6250, 26mp?, 5000 gets me about 145kts. but that is sti= ll pitched for takeoff.  Gear fairings all on now. The eng. is a Bruce= T. custom, 1979 high comp. rotors, 1980 turbo housings with the larger ova= l exhaust, street porting ( ? think that is what is called ), 6 p= ort Mazda intake modified to 4 port all precision matched ( hours &= ; hours with a dremell ) smoothing, polishing, matching, housings to l= ower intake to mid intake to custom extended tubes reaching across top of e= ng. to starboard side into custom Dynamic chamber through slight bell-= mouths & curved back-plate ( take advantage of rebounding pulses ) 3" C= adillac 4.6L Northstar eng. throttlebody ( very nice design double sea= led ball bearing plate support throttle rod, NO vacuum leaks like you = get with bushings ) 3" wire support scat to ram air standard Van's RV = cowl inlet. That was going backwards. Sorry about that chief.  &n= bsp;David

From: "Todd Bartrim" <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
To= : "Rotary motors in aircraft" <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:00:29 AM
Subject: [FlyRotary]= Re: Forever Projects

Hi Dave;
  I thought that you were using an IVO. I've= got the 30"-90"=C3=9776"Magnum  and I never saw numbers like that. I = knew I should have cut it down but I also knew that one day I would order n= ew blades for it which I did about 5 weeks ago. So I'll be looking to sell = the blades only and I figure they may be hard to sell without the hub but a= s they are still full length they have a better chance of being bought by s= omeone looking for replacement blades.
  I'm looking forward to fly= ing behind the deep pitch version.
  What reduction ratio are you r= unning?

Todd

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017, 21:05 hoursaway1, <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:
Ivoprop 45 deg. to 105 deg. pitch, 68" three blade, in-flight adjust.&= nbsp; David

Good write Todd, you know Lynn,,,,,,we race planes to & Rotarys ar= e FAST.. David  RV6A Rotary 3000 ft 80F at altitude above airport patt= ern making oval patterns wide open throttle prop still pitched for takeoff = no gear fairings yet,,,,,,176 kts ind.

Do something everyday. That advice was given to me long ago wh= en I originally began my project. One little job (or big job) everyday and = eventually there will be nothing left to do but take It to the airport.   Now this might sound oversimplified just like the whole "journey of= a thousand miles" thing,
[...]

T. E. Lawrence

Todd
C-FSTB
RV9 13Bturbo

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017, 09:21 Kelly Troyer, <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:

Lehanover

Jun= 16 (1 day ago)=20
3D""
3D""
3D""
to Rotary
3D""

The micron rating of the last chance filter would be the same as in th= e car the injector came from or was used in. Find a filter with that micron= rating (the one from the car) and cut it open. Lay out the paper or wire m= edia and measure the square inches. Double that number and buy a filter(s) = that have that numberof square inches of media and AN fitting capabili= ty.

 There is no application for hose barb fittings on an airplane or= a race car. Change the filters at annual.
Sintered bronze elements can be plugged solid by a dose of water. I wo= uld not use them.  This is race car stuff. My BD-4 hangs from the ceil= ing unfinished.
Lynn E. Hanover

Lynn,=20

    Do not think you are alone out there in "Project Unfinis= hed Land"...........I am still plugging away with my Dyke Delta JD2 with th= e hope of flying before death............At age 76 I still look forward to = working on it...........Would rather die building than in the recliner.....= .........<:)

Best Regards,
Kelly Troyer

<= /BLOCKQUOTE>

------=_Part_54479377_1977938624.1497981447239--