From: Marvin Kaye <marvkaye@olsusa.com>
Subject: Re: What to fly while building??
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 00:38:01 -0400
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted for "Hamid A. Wasti" <hwasti@calweb.com>:

> Everyone recommends a Cessna 152....

I suggest you get a different set of acquaintances.  This set is completely
useless and with flawed judgment.

> I really like the Grumman, I wonder if it is really all that dangerous.

I would suggest a second serious look at the Gruman.  Talk to the owners'
group
AYA (American Yankee Association).  I don't have the phone number, but they
are
located in Cameron Park, CA and you can get the # from directory assistance
(area code 916 or 530).  Many years ago I looked very closely at the Yankee as
my first airplane, but decided to settle on a Mooney because of a bump in my
financial situation.  It is my understanding that they are harder to fly
than a
152, but not beyond the capability of the average pilot.  I do not recall any
particular bad habits that made them unsafe.  If I recall correctly, most
fatal
accidents happened to pilots with little time in make & model and the AYA
had a
very thorough checkout program that was virtually required for getting any
insurance.  Most airplanes, especially in this class, can be flown safely if
you know their limits and do not get complacent.

I am not sure if it will be in your price range, but you may also want to look
at a Cherokee 140.

> [my suggestion was to look for a decent used homebuilt...

Maybe a Midget Mustang-II  or one of the backward flying Rutan planes may
be in
your price range.

Best of luck.  Fall & winter a supposedly better times to buy than spring &
summer.  That from someone who has bought both his planes in May & June.

Hamid