From: <13brv3@mchsi.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: The turbo's back
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:22:15 -0500
To: <flyrotary>
Message

      I found that you can turn the turbo exhaust manifold 180 deg such that
the exhaust of the turbo points toward the rear (of the aircraft). Note: you
may have to grind about 1/8" off one edge of the manifold face that meets the
block so it wont' hit the engine bolt there.   While this would mean you could
not use the stock oil/coolant lines to the turbo, if might be a space saver
and may enable you to put the radiator underneath.  Give it a try.

Ed Anderson

I'll take a look at that, but I don't think it would fit with the mount if I turned it around.  The exhaust problem was going to be if I didn't use the turbo, and needed a muffler.  I would have to take the exhaust pipes around the side of the mount, then back toward the belly of the plane like Tracy did.  That would mean the exhaust would have to go right through the area where the radiator will be.  With the turbo, I actually like the fact the the exhaust points forward.   I would just get someone to bend an appropriate sized SS pipe 180 degrees, and exit right out the side of the cowl with no muffler.  It doesn't get any simpler than that :-)

Rusty