From: Mark Steitle <msteitle@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: second belt on alternator
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:07:42 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bill,
I'll take a picture of my alternator/water pump setup tonight and send to you tomorrow.  If there is any interest, I could send it to the Fly Rotary group also.

Mark S.

At 08:46 AM 6/17/2004 -0700, you wrote:
I would very much like to see a picture.

My engine has an e-shaft drive pulley with room for two V-belts, as does my 13-B water pump. My cowl will not allow installation of alternator on top of engine, so it has to be on the plug side.  I could run two belts (identical) from water pump and alternator (need 2-groove alternator pulley), but if one were to break, and cause the other to break, I would lose all cooling (water pump).

I considered a second alternator, so one belt drives each alternator, located in different locations, with the thought (hope) that loss of one belt would be less likely to lose the other. Most planes flying 60 amp alternators or less have only one belt.

A second thought was if I cannot fit in a second alternator, is to have the second belt just drive the water pump, with an idler pulley, then if alternator belt departs, the pump still works, and I can start looking for a place to land using battery power.

With all electric ignition, and fuel pumps, and EFIS, I need to address redundancy.
Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser # 4045