From: Russell Duffy <13brv3@bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Cooling airflow
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 07:57:54 -0500
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Message

Is it just the fiberglass work people are avoiding, is it the avoidance of the unknown (surely Rusty will have a go here???) What am I missing?

Hi Mike,

Fiberglass avoidance is certainly a factor for me :-)

In looking at a stock RV-3/4 cowl, it would appear that you could save all kinds of drag by lopping off the cheeks, but that really doesn't work out to be true.  Everything I've heard about these teardrop shaped cheeks suggests that they're almost a perfect shape, with virtually no drag penalty.  The main drag is the cooling airflow through them, which you can minimize if you start archiving all of Ed's posts :-)

One of the most compelling reasons for getting rid of the cheeks is simply appearance.  It would let everyone know that there's something different under the cowl.  The average observer would walk right past most of the rotary powered planes without having a clue.  That can be good or bad I guess.

Cheers,
Rusty (hey, what's that bright object in the sky... and why isn't it raining)