From: Wynn, Mike <mike.wynn@spectra-physics.com>
Subject: Cooling airflow
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:43:24 -0700
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Dear All,

I have been reading with interest for a long time and wanted to ask what
maybe a dumb question...

Everywhere I have looked people use the standard `Lyc.' type cowls with
cheek openings and place the A/C `radiators' either side of the PSRU behind
suitable ducts.  I assume this is because it is easier to adapt the existing
rather than to build a new cowl.  However, would it not allow a straighter
and less draggy cooling setup if one were to design a cowl with a single
opening under the prop (a bit like, but much smaller than, a P40) and then
use a single duct to expand the area into the rads (placed under the
engine), and then continue straight out under the cockpit - perhaps with
some augmented airflow from the exhaust???  Surely this would allow a more
efficient airflow and enable smaller intake area and avoid the air having to
fight its way round the engine bay to get out?

Is it just the fiberglass work people are avoiding, is it the avoidance of
the unknown (surely Rusty will have a go here???)
What am I missing?

Thanks
Mike