From: Perry Mick <pjmick@mail.viclink.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] 5000 ft - AGL?
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 12:52:35 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
John Slade wrote:
Message
Flight # 7 took place early this morning. There's a full (4 page) write-up on my web site at the end of chapter 29. Here's a quick synopsis:

No more turbo pipe problems. Lots of uncommanded boost. 0.8 hrs added. Everything went well for the first 35 minutes, then I think I may have experienced my first case of the famous Attention Getting Lag (AGL) that Ed, Tracy and Perry often talk about.  I did another precautionary landing. After landing the power was back to normal. Go figure.

Just for once - I'd like to have the opportunity to land this thing with the option to go around if I get it wrong.

John Slade (considering buying an EM2 and asking for help)

The first time I experienced SAG, was when I had 50 hours on my first set of spark plugs. It seems the leadings don't last much longer than that. The electrode of one of the leadings was nearly gone.
SAG always shows up for me just shortly after takeoff. Sometimes throttling back for a bit, it will recover.

It will always show up after I burn 100LL for a couple hours. Again, it always shows up shortly after takeoff. Usually only 100 to 200 RPM drop, but I see oil and coolant temps suddenly rise dramatically, because the engine is only running on the trailing plugs with different timing. If I get the condition to clear by throttling back for awhile, the temps drop just as dramatically. Probably not something you will see with Tracy's ECU.

Perry