From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary]Re: Wastegates
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:11:34 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Posted for "Barnhart" <dsbarno@vbe.com>:

[I've mentioned in the past that my approach will be similar to that used
on
the older turboed Pipers... the wastegate will be controlled by the
throttle.  ...snip...

Marv

Are you going with a turbo and an exhaust system?  Just curious how you are
going to do this and still have a light engine install.

Barny MGDQ

[Hi Barny,

My initial installation won't have the turbo.  I plan on proving everything else in the installation and determining if I'll have the physical room and cooling capacity to implement the turbo part of the program.  Needless to say, adding 18lbs of turbo and associated hardware is going to up the installation weight from being comparable to an O320 to that of an IO360, but that's ok, as the airframe is working well with either installation under the hood.  On another note, someone suggested a "hybrid" turbo for the 13B, one that uses a TO3 turbine and a TO4E compressor, a combination that would shave several pounds off the turbo unit.  The guy from Turbonetics that I spoke with at Sun'n'Fun suggested that it's doable and offered to run the numbers... I've yet to take him up on the offer.

     <Marv>            ]