From: Finn Lassen finn.lassen@verizon.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] First Start Oil Pump Priming?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 10:39:45 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Well Doug,

Don't keep us in suspense. What did you find?

Oil filter flows from the rim  in and out the center hole if I understand it right.

Finn

On 3/13/2024 6:16 AM, Doug Lomheim rv9flyer13b@gmail.com wrote:
I have Tommy James engine from 2006ish, and it hasn’t been run since then.  I took the front cover off and opened up the oil pump and packed it vaseline after reading on on-line that could help to pull oil from the pan after an engine has sat for a long time.  After filling the pan, and cranking (without plugs) for 300 or revolutions, it was still not drawing any oil into the pump, so I disconnected the outflow oil hose, and gravity fed 1/2 a quart down the line which in theory should reach the pump, and cranked another 100 revolutions and still no oil pick up in pump.

I next will try to put the a/c in a nose high attitude and see if that will better fill the pick up tube in the pan, and crank some more; and was wondering what other ideas have been tried in the past to draw oil into the pump?

Thanks for any ideas...

Doug