From: David Leonard wdleonard@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] First Start Oil Pump Priming?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:34:24 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Doug,
In my experience the pump should never need a prime.  Mine has always sucked up plenty of oil by simply hand turning the prop without any prime.  So after everything you have tried, the problem is not a lack of prime.  Even if you get some oil to flow at this point you should figure out the problem before you run the engine.  Maybe start by taking apart the pump and checking tolerances.  Check the seal on your pickup tube gasket.  Blow air through the oil pickup passage to make sure it is not rusted closed.   Check the seal to the front cover.  That is easy to get mis-alligned and the pump might be pumping but it is all going right back into the sump.

Good Luck,
David Leonard

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 3:17 AM Doug Lomheim rv9flyer13b@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:
I have Tommy James engine from 2006ish, and it hasn’t been run since then.  I took the front cover off and opened up the oil pump and packed it vaseline after reading on on-line that could help to pull oil from the pan after an engine has sat for a long time.  After filling the pan, and cranking (without plugs) for 300 or revolutions, it was still not drawing any oil into the pump, so I disconnected the outflow oil hose, and gravity fed 1/2 a quart down the line which in theory should reach the pump, and cranked another 100 revolutions and still no oil pick up in pump.

I next will try to put the a/c in a nose high attitude and see if that will better fill the pick up tube in the pan, and crank some more; and was wondering what other ideas have been tried in the past to draw oil into the pump?

Thanks for any ideas...

Doug