From: Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Rotary revival?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:35:11 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 3:31 PM Finn Lassen finn.lassen@verizon.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:

Reading those old Contact! articles made me wonder what the rotary roster looks like now.

With the steep increase in Lycoming engines and their long (2 - 4 years) lead time, I'm wondering why/if they're an increased interest in DIY rotary engine installs. With 200 RWS PSRUs out there (even if most of them may be 2.17:1) that's still a good supply of reasonably priced PSRUs.

Is it that there are relatively few real experimenters out there or that we're not really promoting the rotary? I know our most repeated statement is: "If you just want to go fly bolt on a Lycoming, if you want to tinker do an autoconversion". But with prices and lead times, does that still hold true?

Finn\

If the 16X makes it into production, and someone steps up with a well-debugged drive for it, it might mean a real resurgence in interest. But I'm afraid that  the 13B/Renesis might be too 'old tech' for new guys coming into the market. It used to be the lightest option by far in its HP class, but now there are quite a few piston engines that can beat them in pwr/wt, without having to build a custom intake.

I'd love to see the 16X be available.

Charlie