From: David Leonard wdleonard@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Fuel pressure trending lower.
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 13:37:41 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Finn,
Where is your fuel filter located?   Mine in downstream of the pump, but before the fuel injectors.  Fuel pressure gauge is just upstream of the filter for me, which I now realize is sub optimal but does provide good info about the state of the fuel filter.  The pressure starts going up as the filter clogs.

I also have a fuel flow sensor on my return fuel line, which has turned out to be a great troubleshooting tool and reflects the overall health of the fuel system.

I am using the walbro pumps that Tracy recommended.  I bought 10 of them once to have a supply on hand because I never again want to delay replacing them when I see the performance start to degrade.  For me, the first sign would be decreasing return flow.  It more or less seems to linearly decrease with the total time on the pump.  For me, the pressure starts dropping as the return flow gets closer to zero.  I have taken to replacing the pump earlier in the process, like 50% reduction in return flow.  With pumps like the walbro, current demand to the pumps goes up as the flow goes down.  At some point the current demand will blow the breaker and terminate the flight.  I would guess that fuel pumps seem to last 400 hrs or so.  This is an improvement since I installed a larger fuel filter to keep down the pressure differential.

If your pumps are similar and your fuel pressure is dropping at the injector, and the problem is not a clogging fuel filter, then I suggest you replace the pump ASAP.  They seem fairly susceptible to damage from particulate contamination or being run while dry.

Cheers,
Dave Leonard

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 9:04 AM Steven W. Boese SBoese@uwyo.edu <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:
Finn,

What the fuel pump should be flowing and what it is flowing may be two different things and needs to be evaluated before being "comfortable".  That is why I would encourage you to measure the actual flow rate if you can do it safely.  When I left MS71 in May of 2017 following Charlie's rotary fly-in, my 13B burned 18 gal/hr on take-off and initial climb at 5800 RPM and initial OAT of 80 degrees F.  Your set-up likely would require this much or more.  This was the indication from a Flowscan turbine type sensor which has been demonstrated to be accurate.  The flow measurement would just be a next step in the investigation.  If the flow rate is not what is what it should be, then determining why would follow.  The replacement pump should be helpful in this regard.

If you recover the fuel being bypassed by the regulator, bubbles in that fuel will not necessarily indicate air leaking into the fuel drawn into the pump.  The process of dropping the pressure when the returned fuel passes through the regulator, causes dissolved air in the fuel to separate.  Bubbles in this flow will be obvious.  If fuel is drawn from a small reservoir (< a gallon or so) and returned to that same reservoir where the bubbles are allowed to escape to the surface, the bubbles will eventually disappear as the fuel is degassed.  Degassing all the fuel from the wing tank is unlikely to occur due to the large volume of fuel and the large surface area of the fuel in the tank.  This is why returning bypassed fuel directly to the fuel pump intake or to a small unvented header tank (where the separated air is allowed to accumulate) may not be the best practice.

FWIW

Steve Boese