From: Andrew Martin andrew@martinag.com.au <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: RX-8 oil filter
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:55:59 +0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Charlie, Finn. To drill the adaptor plate correctly drill halfway into the block from each face at an angle approx 45 degree off the line that would directly intersect the ports that need to connect, that way the holes are bent inside the adapter block around each other. I just smoothed the holes out with a dremel afterwards as its really hard to line a hand drill up exact. As long as both ports cross and dont intersect you are good to go. Also initially use a smaller drill bit.
Andrew

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 6:34 am, Andrew Martin <andrew@martinag.com.au> wrote:
I did that, but made my own adaptor by cross drilling it to ensure the oil flowed properly. Was not easy to do as not much room for error but managed to drill correct angles after a couple of failures. Works well.
Andrew

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 at 10:48 pm, Finn Lassen finn.lassen@verizon.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:
Thanks Andrew,

Hadn't thought of that. Now I need to find out what I've done.

I have the standard base mounted on a 3/4" thick adapter plate with the base rotated 180 deg, so top of filter pointed down rather than up.

So I think I have all the oil flowing through the filter :(

Recommendation for a bigger filter that will fit the base?

Finn

On 4/17/2022 9:49 AM, Andrew Martin andrew@martinag.com.au wrote:

Finn. The little filters work fine as long as you have not modified the oil flowpath from the original design.  Most of the pump output bypasses the filter and goes straight back to the sump via the relief valve. It is a smart design in that all pump output goes through the heat exchanger for cooling capacity but only the oil required by the oil gallery is filtered. Some users do modify their system to filter all the pump output, but this requires a much bigger filter and is kind of overkill.
Andrew

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 at 06:19, Finn Lassen finn.lassen@verizon.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:
Being convinced it's time to change the oil. EM3 reports 60 hours+, but
probably 10-20 hours before that.

Picked up a K&N SO1008 oil filter at Walmart. Looks so tiny.

How come the Renesis can get away with such a tiny filter?

Anyone know the filter number for a filter with same base but longer?

Finn

--
Homepage:  http://www.flyrotary.com/
Archive and UnSub:   http://maillancaironline.net:81/lists/flyrotary/List.html