From: Finn Lassen finn.lassen@verizon.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: How to search the flyrotary archives
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:47:51 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
On 2/26/2022 9:48 PM, Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com wrote:
On 2/26/2022 8:33 PM, Finn Lassen finn.lassen@verizon.net wrote:
I need help on how to search the archives.

There are two boxes: Filter and Search.

How does one use those?

(specifically I'm looking for posts by Bill Shertz (sp?) about coolant flow, (probably before April 2010 when I started storing all posts locally).

Finn
I confess I've never understood how to use those boxes either. Looking forward to a tutorial.

Charlie

Me too.

I found the posting I was looking for stored locally. "alternative waterpump" thread from 6 May 2010 through 16 May 2010. Specifically Bill's post on 12 May with picture of pump tests attached.

One thing I had not considered in my flow testing is pressure drop vs flow. However, in theory (as I understand it) when measuring flow using pitot tube, pressure drops through the system doesn't matter, flow is flow. However, the theory (https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/velocity-head-d_916.html) does not seem to match my testing all that well. Perhaps density of 50/50 antifreeze is significantly less than that of pure water, and I should have drained the system completely and used pure water?

I did order the garden hose flow sensor and will try measuring flow from garden hose through the two home made pitot flow sensors and the garden hose sensor when I get it.

Anyway, at this point I'm fairly satisfied I have sufficient coolant flow, reasonably balanced between the two rads and can remove the flow sensors and get back to improving left rad ducting using the pencil camera looking at tufts in the duct. One thing I haven't figured out is how to shape duct inlet extension so it will capture air in climb attitude and direct it evenly to top and bottom of the rad surface. From pressure readings in front of the rad it looks like it hits the top of the duct, bounces and most of the air goes to the bottom, even with a very aggressive narrowing at the bottom. I guess vanes come to mind ...

Finn