From: Jeff Whaley jwhaley@datacast.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Spark Plug SAG and Electrical Interference
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 22:33:49 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
I have an unusual experience to recount about electrical interference.  I parked my Mazda-Powered 2+2 for about 2 weeks in favour of flying the Tri-Pacer for a while.  It was parked during a hot/dry spell and I picked it up after the humidity increased, on a misty rainy evening after work.  On the ground and at low RPMs everything seemed normal but once I was airborne at full throttle and even at cruise RPM the radio was 100% static - like the squelch was adjusted wrong -  I endured this for a 20 minute flight.
Today it was relatively dry so I decided to fly it and see if the symptom persisted ... it was slightly better but still a lot of static.
I put in a new set of irridium spark plugs BR10EIX, took it up for another flight and it was now crystal-clear - not even one chirp.
I have never experienced SAG - Sudden Attention Getter - which has been attributed to failing spark plugs ... so I am wondering if anyone who did experience SAG, if they ever had increased radio static prior to their plugs really failing?
These plugs are about 2 years old and have about 50 hrs on them ... I don't see anything obviously wrong with them, they look like any plugs I've pulled over the years.  My educated guess (35 yrs RF experience) is that what carbon build-up on them is causing some of spark to be transferred to the engine block ground ...
Any other suggestions ??
Jeff