From: Stephen Izett stephen.izett@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Dyno Sheet
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 22:00:38 +0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Guys.

Today we did some engine data analysis at 9500, 7500, 6000 and 4500 feet agl.
WOT with constant best power mixture of 0.9 Lambda.
We looked at Fuel Flow and IAS at 5500,5750,6000,6250,6500,6750 & 7000rpm.
The data revealed a very slight peak in both IAS and Fuel Flow at the 6750rpm point at basically all altitudes.
I think what this is suggesting is that increasing rpm beyond 6750 is only increasing wear and has no benefit given the current intake/exhaust configuration.

With the current Prop Fine Pitch Limit, on initial WOT at Takeoff the engine consistently hits 6900rpm within ~6 seconds and 7000rpm by liftoff at 70 KIAS.
It then generally builds to 7400rpm (With no pitch adjustment - We presently don't have a Constant Speed Controller) before throttling back as we turn downwind.

I think this would suggest we ought adjust the props fine limit marginally so that takeoff WOT yields approx 6700rpm and keeping the rpm as close to 6750rpm as
possible when seeking maximum power by manual prop pitch adjustment.
A Constant Speed Controller would be nice!

I’m now thinking we have enough data to tune the Mixture Correction Table of the EC2’s computers for climbing at 6750rpm and as Bill suggested cruising at 6000rpm.

Next step in tuning in the Glasair Super IIRG will be playing with the cowl flaps and cooling drag. Presently the flaps are wide open and draggy.
I’m in the process of completing a little box of 5 differential pressure transducers (MPX10DP’s) mounted under the cowl.
I worked out that they interface quite nicely without any other circuitry with the Dynon Skyview's surplus EGT inputs via a new Polynomial in the sensor config settings.
So hoping in the next few weeks to ascertain how the inlets, diffusers and outlets are functioning or not.
What I like about the MPX10 interface with the Skyview EFIS is the simplicity of displaying the pressure data inflight while its all logged along with engine and flight data
for analysis on the ground.

I’ve got 7 more hours of Phase #1 testing.
So far both aircraft and engine are really great.

My friend and test pilot Dawie also demonstrated at the end of todays flight - a Lazy Eight, a Roll and Wingover.
I felt sick for the next 3 hours. I don't think aerobatics will be in my future.

Thanks for all the help you guys.

Steve Izett
Perth Western Australia
Glasair Super IIRG Renesis 4 port RD1C EC2 EM3