From: Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Kelly's 20B/Lyc 540 mount pics4
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 10:17:51 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Lynn is obviously more qualified to have a legit answer, but I suspect that the problem is more related to the assembly method than the materials. Really long bolts make it really hard to control stretching. Look at a Lycoming cylinder attachment, vs a Volkswagen flat 4 cylinder attachment. The Lyc uses a flange on the base of the cylinder and short bolts (case through-bolts excepted). And they use the rather expensive method of threading the head and cylinder for head attachment. The VW uses long bolts to clamp both head and cylinder to the crankcase. Even at VW power levels, the long bolts can be an issue; case fretting, head gasket leaks, etc. And in the rotary, when the bolts stretch, bending loads get introduced partially replacing shear loads when the housings try to rotate past each other.

I suspect that all those issues would go away if the stack could be assembled with each layer being bolted into the previous one (offsetting the bolt points), but that would likely require non-identical components. Unlikely that Mazda would do it, because the normal method is 'good enough' for intended use, and *much* cheaper to manufacture.

Charlie