From: Le Roux Breytenbach breytenbachleroux@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Kelly's 20B/Lyc 540 mount pics4
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 22:02:25 +0200
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bill : The bending moment and axial loads you mentioned. Could it possible be - why some of the early design  allumnium casted sumps, of the Mistral 3 rotary engines developed cracks ? as i remembered that the bed type mount for the rotary ( pusher type config.) the thicker sump and plate, has a lot to do with these loads and stiffen the rotars and irons as a solid unit, as well the bigger diameter tension bolts and “dowls”
It was just crossing my mind, and i have no previous experience in these loads and type of mounts as well as the casted sumps.
The torque loads of the prop and all ads up.

Included : cut out of the article Mistral Magic
Could the loads be part of the sump problem in these type of mounts? i don’t know.

Cracked Sump

“I did have a couple of teething problems; the most important one was a crack in the aluminum-cast engine sump that I found during taxi tests. Mistral reacted in their usual fashion. After getting details, they confirmed they had a crack in the same area on one of the sumps they tested. They designed a reinforced sump, but never got a repeat crack on the other sumps, so none of the new models were made. I was offered a temporary replacement until the new sumps would be produced to replace all present sumps. I decided to wait, and got my new sump within two months—and a Mistral engineer came and installed it for me.”

Sent from my iPhone
Le Roux Breytenbach