From: William Jepson wrjjrs@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Kelly's 20B/Lyc 540 mount pics4
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 10:33:38 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Charlie, and everyone rotary,
I can see the desire to put a rotary in a similar mount to a standard aircraft engine. But I want to remind everyone that a Mazda wankel in its automotive layout doesn’t work well as the stack of plates and housings isn’t set up to handle the bending moment. In Mazda’s racing engines they added plates to enable them to hang the engine from one end. They still used cradle mounts. The Lyc engine shown in the example has 2 crankcase halves solid front to rear where the mounts are. If you don’t plan to build the rotary with some modifications for axial stiffness and housing location it isn’t a good idea to hang it from one of the end plates.
Bill Jepson