From: Kelly Troyer keltro@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Aviation Specific 13B/20B Mazda Front Side Housing-pics
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 23:52:49 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 7:22 PM Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:
On 8/2/2020 5:52 PM, Kelly Troyer keltro@gmail.com wrote:
> Group,
>   As stated in a previous  E mail I have photos of a junk lycoming I/O
> 540 crankcase with the "Dyna 1" mount ring as used by the "Vans" RV10
> bolted to
> the top mount "Ears"............I machined a wooden plug to fit the
> the Lycoming rear crankshaft bearing journal and the outer portion of
> the plug to fit the
> " ID " of the RX8 Renesis front cover seal area...........This was to
> show if the Renesis cover would fit within the confines of the
> Lycoming I/O 540 mount
> ring................It fits very well with only the stock Renesis
> alternator mount (top of the waterpump portion of the cover) needing
> to be removed and the
> alternator relocated........These photos are too large to go
> through the forum but I can send them to any of the group that may
> want to see them via your
> personal E mail address.............Just let me know..........
>
> Best,
> Kelly troyer

Hi Kelly,

Is the 540 mount ring the same diameter as the 320/360 ring? If not,
it's not going to help most people who are running 2 rotor engines. If
you need a measurement on the mount for the smaller engines, I've got
one hanging in the hangar.

BTW, for the 320/360 engines, the type 2 mount is pretty rare. IIRC, it
was only used on some light twins and maybe a single or two, that used
an extended hub constant speed prop.

Which brings up a point that is significant to me. As I mentioned
earlier, the dyna mount is intended to converge the mounting bolt angles
at the cg of the engine/prop combination in order for it to be truly
effective.  It also requires quite expensive mount 'rubbers'. I've flown
a significant number of hours behind both dyna and 'conical' (straight
mount) Lyc engines, and the dyna is honestly not worth the extra
$300-$400 expense. On a rotary, the value should be even less, since
there's so little vibration.  A 'conical' setup would be dirt-simple to
design/build, and a full set of the soft parts could be had for way
south of $50. There are still a lot of conical mount Lycs in
circulation, so obtaining a mount from a kit mfgr should be a simple matter.

If you want to post the pics on the list, I'll be happy to resize them
for you; just send them to me the address in my name, above.

Charlie

   Charlie,
        The type 1 and type 2 dynafocal mount rings as used by the Lycoming 320/360 engines are completely
different from the mount rings used by the Lycoming I/O 540...........The cushions (rubbers) are similar (and
may even be the same as far as I know) but the shape and dimensions of the 320/360 and I/O 540 rings are
not the same as stated............I agree the "Dynafocal" cushions are expensive and for a 13B there are other
mount solutions but the proposed side plate/mount is aimed primarily at the 20B as a bolt in replacement for
those aircraft that are normally powered by the Lycoming I/O 540 family of engines......If this side plate/mount
is actually built I have committed for the "Beta" version which I will use on an all alloy "P port" 13BREW that I
already have "Racing Beat" alloy center and rear side housings.......I have a 20B but it is too much power and
weight (even all alloy) for my "Dyke Delta"...........I appreciate all comments and discussion.........
       I will send the photos to your Email for resizing.............

Thanks,
Kelly troyer