From: Stephen Izett stephen.izett@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: My EMI journey continues.
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 12:44:59 +0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Guys

I got a few hours on the Glasair this morning.

Last week after soldering 100nF caps across pin 1&2 of EC2, I couldn’t start the engine on either controller.???!!!

I checked the EC2 today and found the Earth Stud on the case was a little loose, so I tightened it up.

Engine then started fine and ran on both controllers. One small step for man…..
On Radio tx, NO stumble on either controller! Another small step for man….

BUT on running up the engine ONE great big step backwards…..

Slowly increasing the RPM yields a very consistent engine cutout at just over 5000 rpm on both controllers.
At say 3000 and stabbing the throttle yields the same result.
If I pull the throttle quickly when it cuts out, it sometimes would recover. Otherwise it stalled completely.

I can help but feel the caps are the culprit.
Didn't have time to pull the EC2 and test.
I would like to remove 100nF and retest.
Then I’m tempted to replace with 10nF and retest.

OR I could just remove the caps and put some Ferrites on the leads going into the EC2.

The RF getting into the ADHARS has, it appears been attenuated significantly by 2 ferrites on the cables entering the unit and the subsequent reduction in VS indicated on radio tx.

Till next time…..

Steve Izett