From: Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Mufflers
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 14:01:52 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:57 PM Andrew Martin andrew@martinag.com.au <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:

Kelly, I would if I had some, really did not expect it to work as I deviated from the design a bit. Will be back at airport on weekend to take photo, too late for construction photo. But nothing to it.

I read about the idea by Gary Schwarz in this thread, post #7 , post #58 for his testing and post #142 sums up his findings.
Someone on here may know him as he was doing it for a rotary. Mine is much shorter than his drawing below due to space constraints but the theory works.
edit: Ahh!!! deleted his picture as too big to post. it is in his post #7 mentioned above though.
Andrew

That looks a lot like a simplified version (one less turn) of a standard automotive muffler.
The Aeroturbine tries to achieve similar effect (without the flow reversals) by using venturi effect to suck part of the exhaust around and then back into the central tube.

Charlie