From: Matt Boiteau mattboiteau@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Mufflers
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 12:09:41 -0500
To: Thomas Mann tmann@n200lz.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Disregard the previous email. I was still reading the whole thread. From Gary's thread, I attached the only picture that shows the Rotary.

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/quiet-flight.6560/page-3#post-69866

Above link breaks down the install Gary did on a rototiller. Basically the header pipes enter a larger pipe (4inch in our case) from the side, close to the top or bottom (not pointed to the middle) so exhaust swirls around. Inside in the middle, is a perforated smaller pipe (2.5inch) that exits out one end. You want the holes to double the volume of exit pipe. The start of the perforated pipe is capped off, so the gasses are forced to enter through the small holes. The end pipe is up to your design. I'll probably go back to the coax style, or maybe swiss if I need to quite it down even more.

The 3d picture is one from Paul's newsletter. I think they had an air opening at the front to try to decrease temperatures. Not sure, but basically similar. Andrew, you said you had the inlet and outlet on the same end, how does that look ?

My first problem was I didn't cap off both ends of the perforated pipe. I like the muffler idea using the stock manifold. Sadly I won't be back for 2 months to the plane to weld new exhaust. Now to go find some 321 SS piping in the meanwhile.

- Matt Boiteau