From: lehanover lehanover@aol.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Turbo chargers/Superchargers
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 04:28:04 +0000 (UTC)
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Lynn,  ON a different subject,  turbos,  So many to pick from but the bullet proof ones add much weight.  Do you have an recommendation in turbos for just normalized of a little above that do not weigh  too much?  Waste gate Yes / no,  just what do you recommend?  Neil.

On 11/5/2019 5:24 PM, lehanover lehanover@aol.com wrote:

When the SCCA decided too few B sports racers were showing up to race, they ended the class and made us run against very large V-8 powered A sports racers. So, 250HP against 650HP.  They did let us run a turbocharger. I bought a RayJay turbo and waste gate.  We changed over to IMSA and ran in the Camel lights series. Sold the RayJay stuff in a yard sale.

The rotary does lend itself to boosting. The large cold combustion chamber surface resists detonation. So, boosting to 5 or so pounds requires little additional equipment. Detonation is charge temperature dependent, so higher boost pressures requires inter-cooling or some other method to cool
the chamber. Water injection. Water and alcohol injection. Retarding ignition timing. Running way over rich, or way over lean, even over water cooling the engine and so-on. The apex seals must be ceramic. They can survive detonation. where nothing else will.

When you increase inlet tract pressure, you pick up heat of compression from the turbo and again when the chamber enters compression. The effect is a larger displacement engine with the same sized
head space. Compression ratio is going to the Moon. Flame front speed goes up, so, ignition timing must be pulled out as boost goes up.  The drag racers can produce 600+ HP for a few seconds with no damage.  I have never dynoed or played with a boosted engine. I have only general knowledge of
such things. Turbo 4 rotors are good up to 1700 HP, for a while.
Lynn E. Hanover