From: Stephen Izett stephen.izett@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: The effects of OAT on cooling
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 16:19:27 +0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Guys

Can anyone confirm the relationship between cooling at various OAT’s and humidity.
Paul Lamar says that cooling capacity drops 1% for every increase in OAT in degree F.
It makes sense that any reduction in Delta T reduces the heat exchanged but by how much.
But what does this mean in actual temps?
Say we fly exactly the same plan on two seperate days.
On one day the OAT is 65F and the other 86F - 20F difference.
Lets say we don’t have a thermostat of cowl flaps in operation. What will the difference in coolant and oil temps be for the two flights?
Will they simply increase by the 20F? I didn’t imagine the correlation would be that simple.
And how does humidity effect the heat transfer?

Can someone with experience, knowledge or both set me straight please?

Thanks

Steve Izett