From: lehanover lehanover@aol.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Inlet Horns
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 19:36:01 +0000 (UTC)
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
I can detect a flow reduction with a wall as close as 3".  Much more reduced when closer. In the Mazda the complex tuned pipes are used to assist the sad low end torque.  In the LeMans racer it was used at about
7,500 RPM tops. Even then they built a set of complex trombone style adjustable runner lengths. Because if you are limited to the number of gears in the transmission, you will need some low end torque in several locations where low RPM first gear corners live.

I favor large bells on short tapered runners. So the highest flow velocity is right at the port face in the iron.
A Drummond built 12-A uses a nearly stock intake manifold gasket to produce 244.4 HP.

Tracy's race winning engine had short runners. This engine tunes like a dirt bike engine. Even more so in a Periphery ported engine.

Lynn E. Hanover