From: Dustin Lobner dmlobner@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Bell mouth 3D printed
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 09:03:46 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Finn,

I've been doing 3D printing for awhile now, never tried ABS though.

I've used 3D printed parts primarily for model rockets, things around the house, etc.  The stuff holds up well, moreso than one would think normally.

One suggestion I'd have is higher infill - when I'm printing something that needs to hold up, I usually run about 75% infill.  I'm not sure if that's possible with ABS or not, so I don't know if that's actually good advice.  One thing you can do, and only with ABS, if you take a shop rag and wet it with Acetone (I think, google it) if you wipe the part with the acetone, it dissolves the first layer or so (until the acetone evaporates).  This allows you to smooth the ABS with the rag and get a gloss finish on it.  You can also do vapor polishing: https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/how-to-vapor-polishing  I don't like the hot method, if you look down the comments section someone explains how to do the "cold" method.  I'd try that.

Good luck!

Dustin