From: Jeff Whaley jwhaley@datacast.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] RE: EC2 Mixture Pot Failure Modes
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 14:15:00 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Steve, this what-if scenario of the mixture pot failing is not something ever discussed before.  What I can say based on experience with the EC2 is that IF the pot failed at full-lean and then Cold Start was selected that the outcome would likely be acceptable; on the other hand, IF the pot failed at full-rich the outcome would not be good.
How can a potentiometer fail ?  Given that it is a resistor the most likely scenario is exposure to excessive current and again from experience, the resistor value can end up anywhere from an open circuit to a dead short.  Another possibility is the wiper mechanism can fail, leaving you without adjustment and stuck at whatever the last setting was  - if you're lucky it should be near the middle and all will be okay.
Jeff

Hi there guys.

A friend of mine who is testing our Glasair has asked after the failure modes and consequences of the mixture pot on the EC2/3 controller.
I'm figuring it would go full rich or full lean. Either being a real problem for keeping the engine running effectively.
Not sure what a faulure of the pot to full lean and then selecting Coldstart would yield as far as mixture, I imagine far too rich.

I take it Tracy used quality pots to mitigate this risk factor.
Has anyone discussed this before?
I'd like to be able to give my friend an answer.

Cheers

Steve Izett