From: Finn Lassen finn.lassen@verizon.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Intake progress
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 21:33:26 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
I think I'll go with the plywood box: :)
Tracy also told me that it's better to go with too big an inlet opening and external diffusion will take care of the rest (given no leaks in the ducting, of course). So he also seems to be a believer in external diffusion.

I think I'll take your route and extend throttle body opening all the way out to the prop.

Something I don't know: You see those nicely rounded edges on inlet scoops. Is that just for looks or does a stove pipe directly into the wind cause some turbulence around the pipe edges? (Here I'm thinking of the 6" inlet to radiator under the engine sticking out the way out to the prop, but should also apply to oil cooler inlet and engine air intake.)

(OK, I should probably spend a week or four studying Hoerner, etc., but I'm lazy and it's so much easier to just ask here :)

Finn