From: Stephen Izett stephen.izett@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Intake
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 08:22:08 +0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Finn and Charlie

Charlies comments re car guys keeping the stock manifold is what led Dad and I to do the same.
We did shorten its length slightly hoping to kick the torque curve towards our rpm patterns.
Cut the secondary runners and turned the thing upside-down.
New Primary runners.
Removed Secondary valves.
This reduced the aluminium section by just over 3 inches
The plastic section is also shortened by just over 1.5 inches
We kept the Variable Intake valve and opening and closing means a few hundred rpm difference from memory. Its been locked open for the test flights to date, but will get to test its performance in flight in the hopefully near future.

We haven’t been able yet to confirm horsepower, just reliant on the Flowscan with its provided pulse rate, and wideband.
If the BSFC is:
0.55 then purhaps 210hp @ 7200
0.60 then purhaps 192hp @ 7200
0.65 then purhaps 177hp @ 7200
OR …. my guess is less. We’ve got good takeoff performance according to the guys on the ground with pilot and passenger and half fuel, but we do have an inflight adjustable prop so we’ve got 7000+ rpm from the get go.

Not sure of BSFC or how much I can trust the data tag on the Floscan.

Cheers

Steve
Perth, Western Australia - Glasair Super IIRG Renesis 4 Port
Image
IMG_1561.jpg