From: Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Evap cores
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 08:35:10 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
'Scirocco style' refers to it being configured to fit a VW Scirocco car (or used to; see below). They're cross-flow (horizontal flow, as mounted in the car), 2-pass (fluid enters on one end, flows through 1/2 the core volume to the other side, then back through the other half of the core volume and exits on the same end where it entered). Apparently, the term got popular enough that the rad makers started sticking it on every conceivable radiator; ex:
and
The term used to be useful in a search, because it meant cross flow, 2 pass, with in/out on the same end of the rad. No more, I guess...

IIRC, Tracy used the thickest one available for the 20B RV-8, and Dennis used one step thinner for his Renesis powered RV-7.

The hose size on my Honda Civic 'racing' rad matches the engine fittings in the car, and I'd bet the Scirocco hose sizes fit the Scirocco car engine.

This Griffin is 'reasonably' priced, for a 2 1/2" core:

Don't forget that if you use something with this much face area, and try to use a 'streamline' diffuser, it's likely to be difficult to make the diffuser work properly without it being quite long (think belly mount). It'll almost certainly need a relatively large inlet, and probably will need turning vanes, as well. Both Tracy and Dennis used wedge style diffusers. Something to consider: NASCAR rads are roughly 3.5-4" thick, as are traditional aircraft oil coolers. Both typically get more or less 'straight shot' cooling air, and operate in the same 80-200 mph air that an RV will operate in.

Charlie