From: Bobby J. Hughes bhughes@qnsi.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] timing on renesis engines
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 09:22:16 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Steve,
I’m running default timing or maybe 1 degree advanced. Early on I experimented with 1-2 degrees advance for many flight hours and did not detect any noticeable change in engine performance. I did push the engine to what I believe was detonation during a ground tuning session. I was tuning under boost (44” MP) , 7000 rpm with a wideband O2 on each runner and adjusting Mode 9 and Mode 4. With F/A balanced between each rotor and EGT’s under 1600F I was trying to see if increasing timing would lower EGT’s. F/A was in the 11’s. This was at the end of the session and the engine and supercharger were already hot. I think I had added 4-5 degrees advance with no noticeable EGT decrease when I encountered a mild bang or misfire. This condition was well above my 38” MP limit I sometimes use for takeoff.

I’m curious about the dwell time setting difference between LS1 and LS2 coils. I switched to LS2 coils sometime back with no failures to date. I remember seeing an option setting in some of the code you or Finn posted. Internet research indicates LS2 coils require less dwell time than LS1. Possibly 0.5-1 ms less.

Bobby

Sent from my iPad