From: John Downing farmerjohn36x@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Marcotte Redrive
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 11:56:37 -0400
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Marc,  I don't have a lot of info on the Marcotte, I got in to early and bought one of the first ones.  There was a change on the spools on the flywheel from to tapered to straight ones that the rubber donuts slip over and I did this.  At 12 hrs the front timpkin bearing blew out the prop shaft seal as there was no provision for the 80w to return the the gear case.  The unit was disassembled and a grove was cut under the bearings for an oil return. As was mentioned here a short while back about the pilot bearing causing some issues from heat, the Marcotte one is a needle bearing and was showing wear at 12 hrs and was replaced.  A small oil tank of 2 inch tubing, 4 inches long was mounted on top of the bell housing and plumbed to the gear case filling hole, it has an ole brass plug with a relief spring and works well.  Using the oil level hole to the tank caused the 80w to be pumped out due to holes in ring gear used in machining.  A temperature gauge shows the gear oil at around 150 degrees during operation.
The drive is quiet, the ratio is 2.1 to 1 and with a 67x69 prop at engine speed of 6000 rpm the Tailwind with the fuselage bi-cambered as well as wheel pants and fairings on nose and main gear, the cruise is 208 mph.  Throttle body is 48 Weber which can also be used as a carb in case of fuel injection system failure.  With short runways on the farm and neighboring trees growing 2 feet a year I haven't flown the Tailwind lately.  John