From: Andrew Martin andrew@martinag.com.au <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Saga continues
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 12:19:36 +0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Really think I’m starting to win. But very slowly, which is frustrating. Seems my initial overheating issues were a combination of many things, not each that bad in installation but added together!!!! and each masks the others.

Mocal oil cooler definately works, and judicious application of duct tape over all the now unnecessary holes in the cowl to improve airflow seems to have done the job, and can now be done proper again with grp.

But. Seems my oil filter is next on the list to address. I used the stock mazda renesis oil filter. It actually looks too small to use ( which I now believe it is)  but I stuck with it because I assumed mazda did the calculations ( No, the accountants probably took over). Mazda’s filter setup only filters oil going to the oil galleries, most oil is not filtered and just returns to sump via the OCV. Since fitting new oil cooler I now also have 2 temp sensors, both after the oil cooler but original 1 is also after the filter. Both are on rear iron.

On latest flight, oil going to OCV max’d at 176f  while filtered oil going to oil gallery/rotors kept climbing to 216f where I aborted the climb. Couldve kept going as temp started to behave as I reduced climb, but I really want to fix these little nuances that restrict performance. Maybe something unknown is affecting the sensor, otherwise it has to be the filter.

So, 2 choices, either a better filter that just filters gallery/rotor oil, or a remote filter that filters all oil.
If using remote filters, what size/part number do you use? Has anyone measured presure drop/ restriction through filters?

Andrew