From: Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Motor mount finishing
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 10:34:30 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
On 12/30/2018 9:29 AM, Joseph Berki jskmberki@windstream.net wrote:

What is the preferred method for finishing motor mounts?

I have a chrome molly mount that has been sitting around for a few years and has some surface corrosion.

Do I media blast the outside primer and paint?  I was thinking of using white to reveal any cracks during the life time.

Thanks for any help.

Joe Berki

Hi Joe,

When I modified my RV-7 mount for the rotary, I took the mount to a friend's machine shop & media blasted it. IIRC, I brought it straight home, cleaned/degreased it, & painted it with Rustoleum rattle can primer & finish paint (white). It hasn't flown yet, but it's been in a fairly humid environment (Mississippi) for several years without any evidence of corrosion. The downside is that the paint is obviously thinner and not as tough as Van's original powder coating, so it will chip easier if you hit it with a screwdriver tip, etc. The epoxy paints would be a lot more durable, and the expense of chemical risk to you, more complicated application processes, and of course, expense. :-)

Whatever finish you use, I'd definitely media blast/degrease, followed immediately by your choice of primer.

Charlie