From: Neil Unger 12348ung@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: cushion drive - retrofit questions.
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 07:20:48 +1100
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bobby,

                  There is no need to replace the input shaft on the RD1-C just to fit my cushion drive.  My input shaft is identical except it is machined from solid and a one piece shaft.--- and much dearer!

Bearing stack,  if you use my shaft exactly the same stack required.

Yes snubber washer thickness is unique as distances vary slightly.  I am happy with 5  - 10 thou clearance as the washer is to only contact when the prop is driving the engine which  allows the input shaft to move forwards.  The snubber washer simply prevents metal to metal contact in that situation.  I do know of one redrive that is operating without the washer at all and all it seems to do is allow oil leakage from the seal on the input shaft as it travels back and forth, (if it actually does?)

End play I believe is difficult to check as drag on the parts, when stationery, seem to make shaft movement impossible.  But it is possible in theory for the shaft to move, hence the nylon washer.  As you say gear lash is simple.

Neil.