From: Jeff Whaley jwhaley@datacast.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: Flexplare Replacement
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 19:06:30 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Joe, I believe there are two ways you can go, though I don't have part numbers or exact details for you:
1) Tracy's Method: Use an aluminum flywheel directly, including the center spline coupling - this eliminates the damper plate and the need to drill holes. The catch is the spline does not match the original RD1-C prop shaft spline.
2) Dave Leonard's Method: Use an aluminum flywheel, no center spline, mount the damper plate, remove material from one face to adjust ring gear position relative to starter.
A quick search of the list should get you more info as it was discussed lately ...
Jeff

I have been looking at various flywheels for possible candidate replacement.

I thought the aluminum units would provide the least amount of weight gain.

I noticed that there are a lot of holes in these units including the replaceable friction area with many screw holes.

I was under the impression that the holes in the flexplate promoted stress cracks.

These flywheels however may have sufficient material to counteract the stress potential.

Can someone provide a brand or part number that is acceptable?

I believe that the additional machining to modify one of these flywheels is the holes for the torsional damper.

Thanks for any help.

Joe Berki