From: Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Alternator Damaged - Internal Short
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 13:05:45 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
I'm pretty sure that's not true. the raw output from a PM alternator can be way north of 50 volts *AC*, depending on rpm & load. Depending on regulator failure mode, you could easily see that much DC voltage coming out of the regulator. Heavy loads will drag the voltage down, but if the battery's topped off and you're day VFR, the alternator may be seeing very little load.

Charlie

On 8/3/2018 9:31 AM, Ernest Christley echristley@att.net wrote:
I like PM generators for that reason.  They can't runaway.
Now, they are generally limited to around 30 amps, but with LED lighting, there aren't many airplanes that would push that limit.

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:44 PM, "Andrew Martin andrew@martinag.com.au" <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:

If you want to be able to control the output of your alternator
Otherwise as Tracy says, and accept the small risk that you may end up with a runaway alternator & unable to shut it down.

Andrew
--
Regards Andrew Martin Martin Ag