From: Neil Unger 12348ung@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: cooling
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 07:57:52 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Steve and Chris,

                                  Finally got the fibreglass dry and fired up the revised cooling system and temp as follows Water 90 degrees, (on thermostat) Oil  80 degrees, and oil to reduction box 70 degrees ( from oil cooler).  To fill other in on how stupid I can be,  I had the original set up, that ran far too cool, so I also believed that I was getting massive cooling drag as my sportsman could only get 120 Kts instead of the usual 135 kts.  So I set about making up a very sexy cowling where the air from the radiator exhausted into the cowling.  This put the gap between the radiator and the sump of only 4 - 6 inches,  which worked well in that all it did was heat the oil in the sump marvelously!!  I was getting oil temps 20 degrees hotter than the water.  So after booting the cat many times in frustration, I finally realised that I had to exhaust the rads into the outside air as per the original.  Fibreglass in the middle of winter ????.

Final part of the jig saw was that when I removed the original set up to mount my new engine and cowling, I found that I had never bolted the positive lead to the back coil, and it has come off who knows when?  Result I was flying with the back rotor on the trailing plug only!!! Hence the slower speed which I thought was the cooling drag!

So basically I am now right back where I started as per cooling exhausting into the outside air,  A lot more experience that I did not need and confirmation that I am an idiot!

Neil Unger.