From: Richard Sohn res12@fairpoint.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] alloy conversion
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 14:00:19 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
356 T6 as far as I know has been used mainly for cylinder head castings. My side housing castings of 356 were heat treated at the foundry. Never had a problem machining. If I had to make new side housings I probably would machine them out of 6061 T6. Material strength is not an issue in such a selection. Basically the difference is 6061(copper content)  is extruded and 356 (silicon content) is cast.
FWIW.
Richard