From: Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Oil
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 13:08:56 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
First, let me say that I'm far from being an authority on this subject.

The idea of coolant (oil, water, air, etc) moving too quickly through a heat exchanger comes up often. People who's opinion I trust (trained engineers) say that slowing flow does not improve efficiency. What I've been told is that yes, you may see higher delta T across the cooler with lower flow, but that's not a true and complete picture of what's happening. My understanding, based on what I've read & been told, is that the best heat exchange occurs with the max temperature difference between the media (oil>air, water>air, etc). If you slow the flow through the exchanger, then yes, you will see a bigger delta T across the exchanger, but that means that a lot of the oil (in this case) in the exchanger has already been cooled 'early' in the flow, so effectively, part of the exchanger is operating at a much lower temperature difference with the air, and therefore, its efficiency is reduced. So it follows that higher flow, keeping the entire exchanger hotter (lower delta T) actually improves efficiency. Yes, it's counter-intuitive (at least for me). But supposedly, the most BTUs get removed from the system when the entire exchanger is kept at close to the same temp across its face.

There's obviously a point of diminishing returns, where you're actually adding heat by overpressurizing the flow path trying to speed up flow, but I doubt we're there yet. :-)

Perhaps a real engineer could step in and clarify.