From: Accountlehanover lehanover@aol.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Oil
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 13:26:33 -0400
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

The Rotary has some interesting features that are often overlooked. It has two massive oil leaks built into the crank. Those spray nozzles spray cooling oil into the rotors once above idle. The oil to the reduction gearbox is another small leak.  So, the rotary has a rather high flow rate system. The front cover relief  was usually set at 144 pounds. With a quick rev up on cold oil this used to push the front cover off of the iron far enough to let the "O" ring out of its hole. A stupid design that cost thousands of engines.  Racers do not use that hole. It is plugged and oil is premixed. Or you can use the bottle of real 2 cycle oil on the firewall and feed that little pump externally.

In the street car about 1/3 of all heat rejected is through the oil cooler. However, the duty cycle of the street engine may be as low as 30%. The aircraft Rotary will be closer to 100%. So, the amount of heat that must leave the engine through the oil is much higher. And oil is less effective than is water at absorbing heat as well as less effective at releasing heat. On really hot days with our old oil cooling system the driver would short shift
(reduce RPM) and oil temps would come down. Plus the higher the revs the more the rotors foam the oil. Foamed oil is even worse at transferring heat. Another advertisement for a racing synthetics with more anti foaming agents, so cooler oil. Having too large an oil cooler has yet to a problem on an airplane or race car.
Two smaller coolers in parallel might be easier to package and would cut the drag by more than half.
Early 13Bs put out about 18 gallons per minute. Synthetics flow like hot water even when cold.

Lynn E. Hanover