From: Andrew Martin andrew@martinag.com.au <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Oil
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 07:18:05 +0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Yeah, my plane has been an off road racer for years now, learnt that lesson. Other than at my local parts suppy store, blokes in there have been told they have to fly with me, That way if they sell me crap parts their ass is on the line also.
Actually phoned PWR on friday, they dont have charts for their coolers either. I really dont know why its so hard to get the info needed. Just seems like manufacturers dont flow test the products they’re selling anymore. Our tractor mechanic has a hydraulic test bench, I’m going to see if I can use it to test cooler flows before I install next one the plane. Its not hard, just need pressure gauges & relief valves on both sides and flow meter between. just wanted to filter out all the crap coolers first as it seems price has more to do with the brand stamp than effectiveness of operation.
Stock mazda coolers seem to be worst of the worst, its a wonder anyone has had success with them, with majority of oil returning to the oil pan through the front cover valve, that valve should only ever operate to protect components in case of blockage, rear iron valve is for regulating pressure..