From: Jeff Whaley jwhaley@datacast.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: rescaling the EM2 for metric
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 12:28:57 +0000
To: Todd Bartrim bartrim@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Hi Todd, as a fellow Canuck of about the same age,  I’d say to each his own ... Celsius is okay when thinking in terms of weather forecasts and yes 0=freezing but in terms of monitoring an engine I’ll take Fahrenheit over Celsius because the scale is almost 2:1.  At the critical temperatures it is better to have that extra accuracy.

Canada is not really metric: Yes, the forecasts are in Celsius, we buy our gas in litres and the road signs are in kilometers which is nice, as 325 km@100 kph =3.25 hrs but almost everything else is still Imperial or some other conversion:  2”x4” lumber, ½” plywood, ½” drywall, ¾” – ½” – ¼” fasteners, etc ...  341 ml beer bottle = 12 oz imp; 355 ml beer can = 12 oz US; 473 ml tall-boy beer = 1 US pint or 16 oz.  Each system has its’ merits: small fluid measurements in millilitres are better than ounces but small thickness measurements are better in thousands of on inch Vs millimeters.

Jeff (That’s my 2 cents worth or 1.54 cents US and I’m sticking to it)