From: Jeff Whaley jwhaley@datacast.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: FlyRotary: Re: Thermostat for winter operations
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 18:22:03 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Yes, I too will be wary of the thermostat and if I had found one that was a little cooler, say 170F I likely would have selected it; however, there was only 180F or 190F to chose from.  Mindful of the "temperature over 160F hurts power" I can't say there was any detectable power reduction during my climb out.  Typically cruising at 180F on warm days was not unusual when operating without a thermostat.  The main difference between with or without is how the engine warms up: without a thermostat the engine, coolant and radiator all heat up gradually in uniform fashion; with a thermostat the engine heats up more rapidly and cools itself by burping hot coolant out through the thermostat and replacing it with cold/colder fluid from the radiator.  One thing I did not mention is that my heater core loop is plumbed through a larger oil cooler for extra cooling in the summer and for cabin heat in the winter.  Thus there is a larger volume of coolant being heated gradually than with just a radiator alone.

Anyway it sure is nice to be able to chop the power on a cold day and glide in for a landing without worrying about engine temps dropping back into the 110F range and having cabin while taxiing back to the hangar.

Jeff Whaley