From: Ernest Christley echristley@att.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Simple bullet proof Ignition systems?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 22:52:24 +0000 (UTC)
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
If your willing to experiment, you might consider using a Ford EDIS system.   It has a limp home mode, where if it isn't getting a signal from a control computer, it will run with 10 degrees of advance.  It has been universally categorized as a very reliable system.

I installed two systems.  The first was controlled by a MegaSquirt, but the pickup was set to have 15 degrees of advance.  The second, I set the pickup to have 15 degrees of advance.  The first on leading plugs.  The second on trailing.
-if the MegaSquirt died, the leading and trailing plugs would still fire at 25 advance
-if the primary EDIS died, the trailing plugs would still fire at 25 advance
-if the secondary EDIS died, the leading plugs would still fire under whatever advance was sent by the MegaSquirt.
-if the secondary EDIS and MegaSquirt died, the primary plugs would fire at 25 degrees advance.

Unfortunately, I never got to test the failure modes.  :-(