From: Stephen Izett stephen.izett@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Cooling Issues
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 16:05:31 +0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Steve & Lynn
I got a moment today so went to the hangar and:
1. Measured the right cheek inlet.
Fudged due to shape I now think its total area is 22 in^2 and I’m currently using 18 in^2 due to the air feed to coils and alt.
So there is a possible 20+% available but not sure what the inlet will do close to the spinner.
2. I hung some wool in front of the cowl cheek as Lynn suggested. One at each end about an inch in and another in the middle.
The outside piece was clearly blowing or sucked into the diffuser. The middle one was barely wanting to go in, and the one closest to the spinner was all over the shop.
At an OAT of 90F the water out of the engine got to 225F in 10 minutes. 2000 engine rpm fine pitch.

Thanks for the info on pressures at 2400rpm.
I’ll be very interested to see what I’m getting inside the diffusers.
The cowl was pretty much zero at 2000rpm and then -0.5 inch H2O at about 6000rpm.

Steve Izett