From: Charlie England <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Fuel system diagram
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 17:09:40 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
A little late, but you could have simplified the system a little bit by plumbing the tip tank directly to the outboard aux, on the premise that if you're undertaking a truly long flight, you'd never want to fill just the mains and the outboad aux's, without filling everything. At that point, you could use the 'turbine' principle, as Tracy did, and I intend to use on my -7. One main tank feeds the motor through redundant injection pumps on the cockpit floor (no valves in the fuel delivery to the engine). Single return to main supply tank (or loop it to the pump input, if you want; that's what certified injection boost pumps do). If you keep the regulator in the cockpit, then bypassed fuel is never heated by the engine compartment. With only high pressure fuel in the engine compartment, it's virtually impossible to vapor lock (think every car on the road these days). No need for check valves or main fuel shutoff valve; the Walbro injection pumps completely block flow when not running. No need for Facet boost pumps; the pumps always have 'head'. A single Van's (Spruce) 3-in/1-out selector could select left outboard, right outboard, or 'main aux', and feed redundant transfer pumps.

Purge solenoid valve: The Lyc guys use purge valves on one brand of dribble injection 9~20-30 psi), because of persistent vapor lock issues. Don't recall if it's solenoid or cable operated, but I'd consider a mechanical valve for this use a plus. :-) If you want, I'll try to find the source for it.

Something to consider if any of your low pressure stuff is forward of the firewall: Hot air from the motor itself will probably be cooler than a Lyc, but air around the exhaust is another story. *Many* RV's have issues with vapor lock due to having low pressure fuel lines forward of the firewall. (Want to hear about my incident with my carb'd, Lyc powered -4?) I just had a long conversation with my neighbor (A&P who has built an RV & multiple other a/c) about an RV-7 he's currently working on. The builder (apparently some Yankee who never saw hot weather  ;-)  ) mounted an Andair gascolator low on the firewall, followed by the Weldon (certified) injection boost pump, which then feeds the engine driven injection pump. The plane consistently vapor locks while on the ground when the cowl's on it. Boost pump doesn't help. He's about to rip out the fuel system for the owner, & move the boost pump & final filter into the cockpit, where they belong. Obviously not going to be cheap for the new -7 owner, but less expensive than scraping it out of the trees....

FWIW, and worth what you paid... :-)

Charlie