From: Andrew Martin <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Fuel system diagram
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 16:14:38 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Todd,
I think your system should work just fine. If your flow test shows capacity greater than you need. No need to change anything if its functional and you understand how to manage it.
I would not have thought to purge into a vent line, but dont see an issue with it. Whichever tank is selected should suck any vapour/fuel from the purge valve straight back in.

I also previously had a small header tank in a semi returnless system. apparently, according to some mates it was too complicated with 1 valve per tank. To me venting the header tank was the biggest issue. Now I have semi returnless without header tank and just 1 valve that can select any 1 of 4 tanks or off, it feeds a facet pump then into a billet manifold under the seat that houses eveything else. 2 efi pumps, 2 efi filters, regulator, optical, pressure & flow sensors all mount direct and porting is done within the manifold. Only external pipes are from pump outlets to filter inlets and forward to the fuel rail. Manifold has solonoid purge back to right main, just in case I run a tank dry and need to purge the low pressure side.
Its not perfect but I think it will work, main benefit for me was the reduction of a bucketload of fittings with the associated possiblity/probability of leaks due to my plumbing skill.

If I was starting out from scratch, building a new plane. I would have 1 big tank per wing, each with a intank pwm controlled pump. Ultimate in simplicity with just enough redundancy.
Andrew
--
Regards Andrew Martin Martin Ag